We have the NBA gods to thank due to the action packed basketball we have received. Now although this sport is based off of team play, individual play doesn't go unnoticed in this league. The most highly regarded reward being the KIA NBA MVP Award. So which players are in the mix for MVP of 2012-13:
1. Kevin Durant: Oklahoma City Thunder- Is anyone really surprised that he's a top 2 candidate for the award. The 6'9" smooth shooting small forward is having arguably his best season yet, and we are not even halfway through the season. Averaging 27.9 PPG, 4.2 APG, 8.4 RPG, & a player efficiency rating of 28.38 you can really see how improved his all around game is becoming. Did I forget to mention he maintains a .521% from the field, and has so far led his Thunder to a NBA's best 21-5 record. Durant will continue to be a big time MVP candidate this season.
2. Lebron James: Miami Heat- Oh look who it is, our resident MVP winner himself Lebron James. King James is having yet another MVP worthy year averaging 25.4 PPG, 6.8 APG, 8.5 RPG, & garnering the best player efficiency rating in the entire NBA sitting at 29.16. James has been very efficient from the field this season shooting .542% from the field. His stats, and impact on the court make a strong case for LBJ, along with his Heat leading the Eastern Conference with a 18-6 record. Don't be surprised if Lebron gets his 4th MVP this season.
3. Carmelo Anthony: New York Knicks- New York's top baller is making a big time push for MVP this season. Perhaps his hottest start Melo has been red hot on the offensive end, and has been a very sound leader for his New York Knick team. With a stat line of 28 PPG, 1.9 APG, 6.1 RPG, & a player efficiency rating of 26.37. It's going to be a tough MVP chase for Melo as Durant, and Lebron make steady pushes but seeing how as of recently he has been as elite as they come on the court it isn't impossible. Especially with the team success early this season, as he has helped lead the Knicks to a 19-7 record so far.
4. Chris Paul: Los Angeles Clippers- The power rankings only point guard is the NBA's very best at the position. CP3 is doing an exceptional job leading the revitalized Clippers on the path to Western Conference supremacy. Averaging 16.0 PPG, 9.4 APG, 3.7 RPG, & a player efficiency rating of 26.08. Paul's impact on the court is as elite as they come, not only due to his individual skill set but his ability to get everyone involved other than himself. And with the Clippers on a 12 game winning streak sitting at 20-6 for the season there is no doubt CP3 has a lot to do with that.
5. Kobe Bryant: Los Angeles Lakers- Despite the iffy season play from the Lakers as a team, there is no question Kobe Bryant is playing like a MVP. Averaging 29.7 PPG, 5.0 APG, 5.4 RPG, & a player efficiency rating of 25.26 we've seen some highlights from the NBA's leading scorer already. The main one being him passing the 30,000 mark in points solitifying him as one of the all-time greatest scorers in the history of this league. However it's the rings that capture the 5 time champ's attention. With all the turmoil recently, and his Lakers sitting at an iffy 13-14 record on the season it's going to start and end with Kobe on a turn around for ring number six.
Thanks for reading the 1st installment of my MVP Power rankings for the 2012-13 NBA season. The MVP race is such a tight one, so i'll always rank the top 5 candidates. The next ranking will be during the week of All-Star weekend!
Tweet us, and tell us who you think will win the MVP this NBA season at @first_tensports